The Thayer Central Board of Education wishes to share a statement with all patrons concerning the Boards role in determining policy, programming, and curriculum as well as the Board's stance on the First Draft of Health and Physical Education Standards currently being worked through by the Nebraska Department of Education.
TCCS Board Public Statement
Regarding; Policy, Programming, Curriculum and
Resolution on Draft #1 of Health and Physical Education Standards
“The Thayer Central Board of Education has control of all local programming and curriculum. The Board of Education will engage and inform the public prior to consideration of change and/or adoption of any change in district/local programming or curriculum.”
Furthermore, in response to Draft #1 of the Nebraska Department of Education Health and Physical Education Standards the Thayer Central Board of Education objects to these standards as presented and supports the following resolution in response to the referenced First Draft:
- BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 85-0070 IN THE STATE OF NEBRASKA AS FOLLOWS:
- Section 1. The Board of Education (the “Board”) hereby makes the following findings and determinations:
- (a) Parents and guardians are the primary educators of their own children, especially in matters of faith and morals, including sex education; and
- (b) The school district is to support and assist the education of children, not to replace the parent; and
- (c) The Nebraska Department of Education has proposed Health Education Standards which could infringe on parents’ role as primary educators of their own children; and
- (d) Parents in this District have voiced their concerns over some of the proposed Standards, making it clear that they do not intend to relinquish their role as primary educators of their own children; and
- (e) Parents who support some or all of the proposed Health Education Standards have every right and every opportunity to avail themselves of any and all educational material necessary to educate their own children in a manner consistent with the proposed Health Education Standards from the Nebraska Department of Education, and their right and ability to do so is not adversely affected by this District’s decision to decline the adoption of the proposed Health Education Standards.
- Section 2. The Board hereby directs and determines that the District will not adopt or utilize the Health Education Standards proposed by the Nebraska Department of Education. The District will make its own determinations regarding the content of its health education curriculum.
- Section 3. At such time as the Nebraska Department of Education removes all content which promotes ideological positions on human sexuality, the District will consider the adoption of new Health Education Standards.
- RESOLVED on this 12th day of July,2021
Thayer Central Board of Education